HSE Releases 2016 / 2017 Statistics
The HSE recently published its 2016 / 17 health and safety statistics report, which provides a way for your organisation to review how it fares in regard to the rest of the country. Here are 6 key figures from 2016 / 17.
- An estimated 516,000 individuals were diagnosed with an illness that they contracted through their work environment
- More than 31 million working days were lost due to work-related health or injury, an average of 17 days off work per person. Stress, depression and anxiety accounted for the majority of the days lost, with an average of 23.8 per person.
- The number of injuries suffered by employees fell by 2,586 while the number of other self-reported workplace injuries fell by 12,000.
- The number of fatal injuries fell from 144 in 2015/16 to 137 in 2016/17
- Workplace injuries and new cases of ill health cost Britain an estimated £14.9 billion – an increase of nearly a billion pounds over the previous year
- HSE fines totalled £69.9 million – nearly double the amount from 2015 / 16. With a conviction rate of 93%, health and safety prevention should be made a priority because if your organisation is prosecuted, it is very likely that you will be convicted.
If the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) visit your workplace to investigate an accident or in an unannounced inspection and discover a violation of health & safety regulations a “Fee for Intervention” (FFI) will be charged. The total amount charged is based on the length of time taken in the original visit, time taken to identify the breach and complete their regulatory action.
FFI insurance provides access to an H & S expert to help you through the process.
- Up to £25,000 in respect of fees for professional advice, a review of documentation and personal attendance where the HSE have notified you of a subsequent meeting or have served an enforcement notice
- Up to £25,000 if a FFI is charged
- If the HSE wish to conduct an “interview under caution” up to £5,000 for HSE expert fee and up to £5,000 for legal fees to represent you
Contact Lockyers now on 01924 278222 to find out more about HSE Fees for Intervention insurance or a quote, email email@example.com or visit our website www.lockyers.co.uk .